1975 Woodsman 4×4 RV!

by Wes Kibble on January 15, 2010

Reader Alan Auty sent us pictures of his 1975 Woodsman 4×4 RV. I had never seen one before! The unique rig is 20 feet long and is powered by a 2 barrel 360. The transmission is a 727 with a full time transfer case. The front is a Dana 44 with no hubs. Inside, there is a shower, three way fridge,furnace, factory air on motor and a hatch back rear door. He has to put the table down to fit his 16′ canoe inside, but it fits. The windows on the roof should be tinted bubble type, but Alan is still looking for replacements. He has been told of other Woodsman but but is still waiting to see one or even a picture of one. Have you seen or heard of a Woodsman RV? Anyone have any photos?

Brian January 31, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Hello. I like the pics of the Dodge Woodsman, but not sure about that rod holder. I also have a Woodsman. I am currently upgrading mine to a 440 with part-time 4×4. I will have her on the road in the summer of 2010.

offroadaction January 31, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Thanks for commenting Brian. Do you have any photos of it? I have never heard of a Woodsman until Alan sent me these photos.

jb August 14, 2013 at 5:04 pm

AWESOME!! I have a woodsman … neat camper…. got mine for 1500 dollars.

Brian February 1, 2010 at 11:59 pm

I can send a couple pics, but how do I do that?

offroadaction February 2, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Brian, email me at weskibble@offroadaction.ca Thanks again!

Dave April 19, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Woodsman’s were neat rigs made by champion home builders co, in the mid 70’s. These two are first I seen to survive.

Thanks for the photos

offroadaction April 19, 2010 at 10:07 pm

Hey Dave,
Thanks for the information.You have an interesting website. Do you have much more information on the Woodsman units?

Dave June 15, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Not much is known about them. I did not think many suvived. I have seen two in junck yards but never on the road before other then a couple owned by members of our club. It is good to see more of them around.

I do have some literature but no manuals on them. So more info, from one of our cfo members….
Champion home builders co, only made about 500 total of the 4×4 woodsman’s and only about 50 or so had the lift up door.

Dave June 15, 2010 at 10:54 pm

correction the lift up door was the most built one, only 50 were like the modern toy haulers with a ramp type door. I have yet to see photos of these.

Chuck March 26, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Hey I bought one and it’s got the back hatch door everything works. I was wondering what one of these is worth

john September 26, 2013 at 4:20 pm

i have one — bought it for 1500 dollars yrs ago ,,,, used to take the kids fishing with it ….great fun to drive ….my boy and i just replaced the carb,,,, just a great vehicle. i luv it ……funny thing — i too thought mine was the only one left 😉 im glad to see others have made it too.

TX living in KS September 19, 2016 at 6:24 pm

Just purchased a Woodsman. The engine & transmission(318 & A727) work great. I have not tested the 4×4 yet, but I’m told it works as should. It has been completely gutted. Just a hollow body, frame, and drive-train. Paid $250 for it, but it’s going to take lots of $$$ go get it road worthy. First I need to get the brakes working properly. If anybody has any information or details they think I should know please . . . please let me know. Thanks.

David August 8, 2017 at 6:27 am

Where can I buy one of these?

cj May 18, 2011 at 10:53 am

just got a 1975 woodsman 4×4 has 318 motor 727 tranny new process 205 t-case and warns lock outs is that stock on them?

Wes Kibble May 18, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Good question! There is not much information out there about these unique rigs.

cj May 18, 2011 at 10:15 pm

i think i got a good deal then i gave $450 cash and drove it home needs axle bearings but if there is not many out there i done good thanks for the reply

Wes Kibble May 19, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Sounds like a great deal! How about some photos?

cj May 19, 2011 at 10:09 pm

i can send pics just need to no where to send them to

Wes Kibble May 22, 2011 at 6:33 am
Tg October 2, 2013 at 8:35 pm

I would love to photos of your woodsman. Currently looking foe one. If you have photos of interior please them too!!

TG January 14, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Send them photos to me please, in the process of buying one. They look fun and r Awsome. How have u enjoyed yours?