Desert Beast Ford Bronco Monster Truck?

by Wes Kibble on June 3, 2010

monster truck Do you remember the Desert Beast Ford Bronco monster truck? Whatever happened to it? Who owned it and what were the stats on it?

Stephanie B August 1, 2010 at 3:22 pm

hey LOVE the truck!!! wish i had a 80’s bronco!!……My dad used to have one and i liked his old one and now i want to find something that i can rebuild or fix up…..like i said LOVEN the truck!!!!

Wes Kibble August 5, 2010 at 9:18 pm

It is a great looking truck, isn’t it? It is funny how so much of us want the same truck that our Dads used to drive us around in years ago!

Thomas Malone August 3, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Love King Kong Truck 1976

Joy Morgan August 10, 2010 at 2:48 pm

The Desert beast is my husband’s vehicle. It is still “alive” in Hesperia California. My husband built the truck. We bought it new in 1980 and he started to make it big right away. My husbands’ Name is Gael Morgan. It is built on a military base with a Ford 427 engine. My children and myself along with a family friend toured Canada in 1983. We started at a show in Vancouver and ended up in Ontario Canada. They kept offering us shows and so we ended up going all across Canada. With four small children, it was quite an experience!

Wes Kibble August 10, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Joy, thank you for your comments! Having just moved from Toronto, Ontario to BC, I can only imagine that you have some great stories about your trip! Do you have any photos that you would like to share about the Desert Beast? What is the current state of the truck?

steven pogacsas August 12, 2012 at 12:45 pm

i was wondering if you still have the truck and if it is for sale? i worked on it back in 86 with don Ferguson and i love this truck also say hello to your daughter i took here to one of the school dances back then steve pogacsas

Joy Morgan August 14, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Hi,

The truck is still in decent shape. My husband does not have the time to spend on it that he once did, so it needs a little work. Our trip accross Canada was really fun. When we started, everyone thought that we were “Big Foot” a monster truck of the time. But before our trip was finished, we were reconized and people would yell out “Desert Beast” when they saw us going down the road. WE had the truck on display at a mall in Ontario and it was difficult to answere the questions there as none of us speak French. It has a five ton differential in the back and a 2 1/2 Military differential in the front. It had a Ford 427 medium rise engine with a BDS blower. Believe me, I should have learned how to say all of that in French, but I didn’t. Canada is a beautiful Country. We ended up in Kirchner and then dropped down back into the States and made our way home. We are in California, so it was quite a trek. I do have a lot of pictures of the truck going over cars on fire, how it looked the day we bought etc., but I’m afraid that I don’t know how to post them. I don’t do this type of thing. My son found the original web site when he was brousing one day, so we are not very savvy on how to post photos. If I figure it out, I will be glad to show them to you. If you give me your email, I can probably do it that way. I don’t know.
Joy

Wes Kibble August 15, 2010 at 10:20 am

Hi Joy,
Feel free to email me at weskibble@offroadaction.ca I would love to see them!

Walt Lockwood May 8, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Hello Joy,

If I remember correctly it was either on the cover of Four Wheel and Off Road or had a nice article in one issue. It’s been a long time, but it was always one of my favorites. I would also love to see any other pics you have.

my email is sh8kdwn@gmail.com

Doyle Dyer February 26, 2011 at 10:36 am

I would love to see some pictures. Of that truck and no were you got the center of the wheels. that is a really nice truck.

dakota beardall October 17, 2011 at 5:58 pm

i love the bronco and i also would love to see more pictures of it. im a huge fan of broncos,i was raised in them pretty much. and i have a 79 that my uncle bought when i was one year old,then later my dad bought it from him..and then i got it from him for good grades and graduating high school haha

Marc bradshaw April 30, 2012 at 10:18 pm

I remember the beast well I went to school at Vally View with Bryce I lived on l-6. Hard to find pictures of it on line. Tell Bryce hi.

brian upah August 28, 2012 at 8:48 pm

my stepdad built that for gael….his name is jeff marine….ive been looking for pics for a while too….good to hear your are all doing well….

brian upah August 28, 2012 at 8:56 pm
Misty Campbell (Marine) August 29, 2012 at 9:40 am

My brother Brian just brought this to attention. I didn’t know my dad had built this or all the things he done with this bronco
How awesome , I’m very interested in any pictures anyone has of this time in my dads life . Id love to blow them
Up and put them on my sons wall . I don’t think there’s anything in the world he loves more then monster trucks
And now to find out his grandpa built & drove one . 🙂 that’s so cool . Thank you Brian for letting me in on something I would of never known.

Joy Morgan September 1, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Hi Misty,

I’m sorry to tell you that Jeff “helped” to build the Desert Beast. He did not build it by himself. My husband and Don Fergeson built most of it. Jeff worked for us at the time, and he did help my husband. Brian is mistaken if he thinks that his step-dad built the Desert Beast. It is strange, how many people are taking credit for a project that was my husband’s brain child. We still have the truck. It is in Hesperia at our home.

Joy Morgan September 2, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Knowing that Jeff was working on the truck for wages (the rest were volunteers). If you sill want Pictures, give me your address and I will send them to you.

Joy

brian September 2, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Wow….remember we are not Jeff. Sorry if I don’t have the story correct. Didn’t mean to reopen old wounds. Just thought it was cool to see this truck out there.

Joy Morgan September 3, 2012 at 3:06 pm

That’s o.k. I told Misty I would send pictures if she still wanted them. I just need an address to send them to. There are no old wounds, I just thought you guys should know the truth. Jeff did help on the truck, but he worked for Gael at the time. He collected his check and did an o.k. job. If I have any old wounds, it would be for Dave Hammerick and all the tools he took with him when he left. He was a friend of Jeff’s and he was a real winner as it turns out.
Joy

Mike November 12, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Hi Joy, would it be possible to email some pictures of the bronco,, would love to see them..

Mike
rubberduck_67@yahoo.ca

Mike November 30, 2013 at 8:52 am

Hi, did anyone get pictures of the Bronco from Joy that could share with me?

Mike
rubberduck_67@yahoo.ca

JB September 17, 2015 at 5:31 pm

Is this for sale?

Don Ferguson August 24, 2016 at 7:34 pm

Just found this site hope this gets to The Morgan’s if so would like to say hi . I thank of all to good times , and some bad like the rear bumper being sheared off . Hope all are well get back if you can thanks your pal Don Ferguson