1969 Kaiser Jeep XJ001 Bolide Prototype

by Wes Kibble on December 3, 2010

A few months ago, we featured an article about the 1969 Kaiser Jeep XJ001 prototype. Today, we have this photo is a 1969 Kaiser Jeep factory shot of the XJ002 “Bolide” concept. The word Bolide means “a large meteor that explodes in the atmosphere,” which is maybe appropriate for a flashy concept car that was never produced. It”s also an unusual name for a Jeep, but this was an unusual Jeep. Its plastic roof had bulges for head clearance. Built on a Commando V6 chassis, the off-road sports car was shown at the 1970 NYC Auto Show, and reportedly the XJ002 still survives and is undergoing restoration

dan kunz April 14, 2011 at 10:54 am

some good pics of the xj001 but the car you show above is the xj002 bolide. most people don’t know there was an xj002? i have the xj002 and a complete documented history of it including photos, video, audio interview with designer/builder and about 100 still shots. full history since the original frame left the factory including all titles. restoration, exceedingly slow, in progress.

Wes Kibble April 17, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Dan, you are right…I put XJ001 for some reason! Sorry! You really have the Bolide? That is awesome! Are you going to restore it? Do you feel like sharing any photos?

dan kunz May 17, 2011 at 1:20 pm

yup, i have the xj002. 90% original. full history. drop me a note and i’ll send a few pics. also have audio tape with designer/builder, video footage, signed design drawings and many other things. one of these days the car will be finished and will be shown.

Francesco December 13, 2011 at 8:21 am

Hi Dan, my name is Francesco Barontini and I’m an italian journalist specialized in cars’ magazines. I’m writing an article about the XJ001 and the XJ002 Bolide. Can you send me some information about the car you have and one or two pictures of it. I will really appreciate! Anyway, thank you.
My email is franciobaro@gmail.com

dan December 16, 2011 at 4:54 am

thank you. will send info in a day or so. please let me know when published and send a copy by email. even though i don’t speak italian i’m sure i can get it translated.

Pavel June 15, 2011 at 5:27 am

Good morning Dan! I am from Russia. We have about xj002 completely unknown. I would really appreciate if you share the information about this car. My e-mail paha2110@yahoo.com Sorry for my bad English.

dan December 16, 2011 at 4:57 am

hi — i emailed you info a when you requested info but haven’t heard back to say you received it. when i send new info and pics to francesco today i’ll also send it to you.

Pavel December 26, 2011 at 8:36 am

Hi Dan! Many thanks for the info! Very interesting!!! I live in Russia and interested in the history of Jeep. JEEP BOLIDE XJ-002 a fantastic car!!! Thank you for your work on the restoration!!! I wish you luck in this difficult work! Thank you!
P.S. Sorry for my bad English

Francesco December 13, 2011 at 8:21 am

My email is franciobaro@gmail.com

Eric Kim January 4, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Dan,

Do you mind sending me some info as well? I am working on a project for school and would love to receive more information on this as well…

Many Thanks,
EricEdwardKim@Gmail.com

dan January 8, 2012 at 5:00 am

eric — thanks for your interest. i’ll send some info to you today. dan

Mollie January 22, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Hi Dan! I don’t know if you still check this page, but figured it was worth a shot. I fell in love with the Bolide the first time I saw a photo, and would love to know how it’s doing today! I know on the Allpar page it says that the car is available to someone who would pledge to restore it — is that still the case? I live in VA and would love to restore this car, or just see it or possibly be of help in your restoration of it.
Please email me with more info. Thank you so much!
molliepowell93@gmail.com

Dennis March 24, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Also interested in more info on this mainly because it’s based on the Jeepster Commando mostly because it’s just about the coolest concept Jeep made.

bolide xj002 -- dan April 24, 2014 at 1:02 pm

hi all — sorry for the delayed response. yes, i still have the xj002 — very slow restoration as we are trying to everything exactly as was done in the original build. for example…we found the original dune buggy company that sold the original seat shells to dann deaver…they still had the original information! we bought a duplicate set and and are changing them in exactly the same way (not pretty underneath but nice when covered — all according to pictures and oral documentation!). we have full provenance on the car. it is a very unique and amazing piece of automotive history and foresight. possibly the most unique factory authorized concept car there is especially when the behind the scenes reasoning and corporate intrigue for this car is finally made known. in our ongoing research we have found that there was only one, not three as i incorrectly stated in one of my original documents (since documented by those who worked on this and other centaur engineering projects — the other two “lost” cars were actually meharari’s and have been found) and the car was never tested by the us military (documented by extensive research at aberdeen proving grounds research library and through related sites — that was purely a myth). the car is one wild ride! dan.

John D January 21, 2015 at 9:37 am

Dan,

Thanks for the update. It sounds like you are taking the very best approach toward restoring this one of a kind machine. I would love to hear more and perhaps even see a few pictures of your progress to date. I am extremely intrigued on the story behind the the xj002!

Thanks,