1968 Burro Buggies

by Curtis Guise on February 15, 2014

Steve Heckert recently sent us these photos of his three 1968 Burro Buggies.  Notes from Steve about each one is below with the photos.  Steve is also searching for info and location of the SS Burro Buggy – Read about it here.

1968 Burro Buggy

#1 Burro was Tiny Thompsons personal Burro. It was raced by Tiny, Les Choat, Chuck Andrade, Gary Weers and Don Richards. 1600 single port with Zenith and original Four Tuned exhaust, bus reduction box trans with alpine gears, link pin front end. Original hand painted lettering is still on the Burro. See race results sheet.

#8 Burro is a Les Choat built Burro. Driven by Les, Andy D and Don Richards. 1835cc duel port with Zenith, 1968 IRS Bus trans, ball joint front end and Manx exhaust. I ran this Burro in the 2010 NORRA 1000, 6th in vintage class.

#77 Burro. A one of a kind. This was Bob Sinclair’s Volvo B 18 powered Burro. Bob was the president of Volvo Cars back in the 60s and 70s. He later became the president and CEO of SAAB Cars of N America and Canada. Raced by Bob Sinclair , Bob Anderson, Tiny Thompson, Les Choat and Bob Thomas of the LA Times. Volvo B18 motor, VW Bus reduction box trans and ball joint front end. This Burro is in Harrah’s Auto Museum in Reno. Bob and the Burro was pictured and wrote about a lot after the 1968 Mexican 1000 because they rolled the Burro 60 miles from La Paz and sheared off the left spindle. They up righted the buggy and drove the last 60 miles on three wheels and still ended up 4th in class and 21st OA!

Donn Andrade May 30, 2014 at 6:36 pm

My DAD is Chuck Andrade i Would Love to Buy Number Burro FOR him Please call AT 949-936-1702 DONN Andrade it would be great for him for his birthday it would blow him away…. i will pay cash………please call me

steve heckert June 5, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Donn, I know your dad. I tried calling your number but it does not go through. call me at 916 872-5324. I have my feelers out for a Burro.

Steve

mike roy July 26, 2014 at 12:45 pm

hope its not my dads cause I would sure like to get it back for myself and maby even restore it. tried to call Roberta about it but never called me back. she lives in Idaho as do I. wonder where in Idaho she lives?

mike roy July 26, 2014 at 12:48 pm

why is there not somebody still making them. would like to see a fresh built one huh?

steve heckert June 21, 2015 at 4:23 pm

Donn, I may sell the Burro that your dad raced. Not 100% sure at this point.

mike roy July 6, 2014 at 2:18 pm

do any of you remember my dad William(bill) roy? he ran with the orange county burros club. the front of his buggy had a whale on it called himself moby bill. I think Crawford engineering helped him with it.

Donn Andrade July 11, 2014 at 6:51 pm

my dad surf with your dad and your mom merna was a nurise and meet tiny that make burros

mike roy July 26, 2014 at 12:42 pm

i tried to get in touch with Roberta to see if I could buy back my dads buggy if she ever wants to sell it. she hasn’t ever called back. I really screwed up not getting it from my dad. why is there not somebody still making them. a modern day burro would be awesome.

steve heckert June 21, 2015 at 4:21 pm

Hi Mike, Did you make contact with Roberta? I have a couple pics of your dad standing by the Burro.

steve heckert July 16, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Mike, I remember that Roberta Thompson bought your dads a few years back. I think I have a couple pics of the Burro.

steve July 14, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Mike, please email me at burro8@wavecable.com. I have some pictures og your dads Burro that Roberta Thompson has.

Steve

Donn June 22, 2015 at 2:19 pm

ok Steve let me know when my DAD said you guys talked a month ago please let him know we talked thanks